Sunday, June 7, 2009

full circle

speeding past endless ditches full of purple and white phlox
green, the undersides of poplar leaves flashing in the sun
bright-blue sky and the turquoise beaches of my dreams,
today with sailboats and windmills

how much of who i used to be do i want to keep?

dusk-blue dusk, water and sky
a perfect, round, glowing orb suspended somewhere between
moonlight beams a golden path onto the lake
interrupted only by the hands of the clouds as they pass before her

he knows my name now,
my curiosity wanes
my friend leaves once more for israel,
and again i don't know when i'll see her next
a cute guy on a bike - "cheers" as he passes me on the sidewalk,
a block later (on that same corner as before) he parks and looks me over as i pass by
no accidents this time
no coincidences
no drama
the magic dissipates...
for everywhere i've been this year
i'm really not much closer than i ever was