Friday, July 24, 2009

wool sweater in july (albeit a thin one)

i've been a vegetarian for more than half my life but i still love the smell of fast
food fried chicken

i can count my real friends on a hand or two
they're the ones who can disappear for a decade
and walk back into your life like they've never been gone
one reappeared today
the second boy i ever kissed
(on the same weekend as the first and third boys i ever kissed)...
a portent of my future slutdom,
which he witnessed with patience and care
he was one of the first boys i knew who would act like a man
but for all his love of asian strippers
i suspect it broke his heart when i married his best friend
(he told his mother to warn my mother about him - i found out too late)

in his honour, a list of my favorite childhood sticker smells:
grass (the lawn kind)
gasoline
grape

i'm sure there must be more